Today marked one week since I was able to start sleeping, and for the most part living, in the sweet little house I once never thought I would have. In the meantime, my husband mostly lived in the moldy, rundown singlewide with ugly avocado & gold linoleum rotted out in several spots, that we somehow managed to exist in for over 15 years. He needed to stay with our dogs, since their fencing still had the old mobile as its back border, and he needed to continue to weed through his STUFF in the so-called 2nd bedroom that was filled floor to ceiling, wall to wall with God knows what. I hope this whole experience has finally taught him that his possessions have had him instead of the other way around. On Sunday, he managed to move most of the rest of our furniture over here as well as repositioning the dogs' fencing so it would point towards our house. Then he was up literally all night continuing to weed through STUFF and still didn't get it all out. I wondered what he was going to do, since the demolition crew was scheduled to come yesterday. But thankfully, they phoned and couldn't come till today. He was still up most of last night trying to get the place emptied out, but managed to get a couple hours sleep.
I came home from work today, and lo and behold, where the moldy dump once stood (or barely stood), there is a bunch of debris in its place, which the crew will come tomorrow and clear out. Rex said they crunched it in four parts. I'm glad I didn't see it even though I hated that place. In a way, it's kind of sad. But Rex said they merely put it out of its misery. The place literally had wood rot from one end to the other. It does amaze me that I endured "living" in those conditions for over 15 years, even though we had no choice financially and you do what you gotta do. My best friend Dianne called it "third world conditions", and though I used to think she was exaggerating, in retrospect, I have to agree. I "lived" there longer than anywhere else, sadly, and the memory of it will always be with me. But now it is just a bad memory. Rest in pieces, ye poor olde moldy excuse for a home.....
Our dog Jesse, the little (if you can call 120 lbs. little) troublemaker who doesn't get along with our other two male dogs and is a fence jumper which prevents him from living indoors, had to stay in the empty bedroom of the dump till this morning. I'm sure he wondered where "his" bed and all the other stuff had gone. He will stay in the utility room when the other boy dogs are inside, and Rex will eventually install an electric wire on the outdoor fence to keep him from jumping. He has adjusted well to his nice new surroundings, as have the other dogs, and he and Heidi have not yet attempted to dig up my pretty new carpet (and they had better not even think about doing so). My new master bedroom and bath are off limits to all four of them!
I have my new kitchen, my new bathrooms (bathrooms - I finally have more than one!!), and my sitting room set up pretty much the way I want them, except for many pictures and a few shelf units to be hung. I am using my new Franciscan Apple dishes, my new Sheraton flatware, and my new red Farberware cookware, all of which I loooove. And my Internet is connected in my home tonight, albeit still the old dialup. The game plan is to lose the land line phone, which we don't use anyway except for the Net, and get cable. That will hopefully happen in a couple weeks. We plan to get satellite tv, and I'm not sure how soon that will happen. But I haven't really missed the tv the past few days. I kept it on constantly when I was in the dump, to distract myself from my surroundings, though I was always all too conscious of them anyway. But now that I am where I belong, the tv is not needed nearly as much. There are a few certain programs I would miss if we are without it too long, but for now I'm fine with the radio or CDs, the Net, my doggies, my crocheting (which I will get back to after I post this) and.....MY HOUSE!!!!!! My dream, once distant and seemingly unattainable, has been realized, thanks be to God.
Tuesday, June 05, 2007
Rest in Pieces......
Posted by Anonymous at 7:18 PM
