We had our first house guests two nights ago (sort of) even though we won't be able to move in till, apparently, next week. We were pleasantly surprised to come home from work and see that our steps are now in place -- though we still won't be going inside a lot till we can actually start moving our stuff in. The carpeting was all installed too and looks great. So all the indoor work was done at that point, except for a thorough cleaning which is being done yesterday and today. After looking around for a few minutes, we went back into our dump to have dinner and unwind for the night, when about 10 minutes later, two cars I didn't recognize drove up. I said, is more work being done tonight? But Rex recognized one of the cars as being that of our builder's rep, Dave, who has been such a huge help and encouragement to us during all those months when nothing seemed to be happening and I wasn't sure if our house would ever really be ours. In the other car was a young woman with 2 young children. It turns out this young woman's home had burned to the ground just the night before. Apparently she will qualify to get a comparable 4-bedroom home but still, she seemed to be doing well considering the fact that I imagine she had to have lost many items of sentimental value that one can't put a price on. So once this happened, she went to see Dave and told him she needed a 4-bedroom home quickly and was there a completed one she could look at that was nearby? And he told her, well, I know of one that's almost finished. So he brought her over to look at our home. She loved it and said it "made her day" to see it and that she is interested in getting this same model, which in turn made my day. It was also the first chance I got to see Dave since we finally secured financing and got the ball rolling, so I got to thank him in person for all the help he provided in this very long process. It looks like all that is left to be done now are the gutters, and as soon as the final inspection is signed off on (supposed to be in the coming week), we can start moving into OUR HOUSE!!!
