Like everything else in this whole process, this update is a little overdue. We were originally told the excavator would come to start digging out our home site a week ago Monday (March 5). Then Monday became Tuesday, then the end of the week, then "for sure next Monday" (the 12th). This was according to my husband, who has gradually gotten the area cleared out (the two storage trailers moved out of the way, the four - count 'em, four - non-operating cars hauled away for parts, various piles of hubby's mostly unusable-looking STUFF -- some covered with tarps, some not) but had not yet really finished doing so till the beginning of this week. I have not gotten (and don't expect to get) a straight answer out of him as to whether the STUFF not being cleared out on schedule was the true reason for the delay.
I got home from work on Monday the 12th, thinking that "for sure" meant I would see a prepared site just waiting for the concrete to be poured. Any guesses? Right. I asked what was going on and my other half said the crew had a roof to install somewhere and they would be here on Wed. I started to panic, having run out of fingers on my left hand to count the delays in the past week. Another reason for my concern was the 10-day forecast (which, granted, does change every day) that gave only a 10 to 40 percent chance of rain this week and up to 90 percent next Monday, and therefore desperately wanting our concrete to be dry by then. I expressed this in the most tactful manner I could (as in, look, you make darned sure they get here Wednesday - THIS is the week!). I got home from work on Tuesday the 13th, to a surprrise of a different kind. The site had been excavated!!! I asked when they would be back to pour the concrete - "Thursday or Friday", which has now become Friday (tomorrow). I pray that will actually be the case. In the meantime, I took a few pictures of the now-bare patch of dirt which will soon be covered by my beautiful home. I will post them here when they are developed (this is a time it would be nice to have a digital camera I could get along with, but that's not the case).
It still won't all seem real till my house is on our land and I am IN it. But in my head, I have to acknowledge it actually, at looooooooooong last, is happening. I realized today (Wednesday) when I arrived home and looked at the site again, what a pretty site it is, surrounded by trees. It's where we originally planned to build the log cabin we envisioned when we bought our acreage waaaaay back in '92. Little did we imagine back then that the log cabin would never be, and that we would be stuck in our old, dilapidated singlewide for almost the next 15 years. But it looks like, FINALLY, that is all behind us now as we await our pretty, spacious (!!!!!), new 2,100 sq. ft. triplewide. Back soon with more!!!
Thursday, March 15, 2007
The Excavation!!! Can You DIG It???!!!!
Posted by Anonymous at 11:35 PM
